The trading hall was built in 1961 and was officially opened on the 21st of August 1961. Since then not a lot of money has been invested into the infrastructure. This lack of investment is now being rectified with a R12 million refurbishment program. The refurbishment commenced in September 2007 and will include:
- The construction of new dividing fences
- The installation of new lighting
- The installation of new security cameras
- The installation of new electricity cables and new IT cables
- The painting of the interior of the trading hall
It is anticipated that the refurbishment will be completed by May 2008.
The new fences are in the process of being installed and already there is a marked difference in the appearance of the trading hall. The fences have been constructed on-site.
The refurbishment has been welcomed by all stakeholders